Team Albany’s Mission is to use adaptive equipment and techniques to help Veterans in their rehabilitative, preventative and therapeutic pursuits.
The Albany VA Adaptive Sports Program presently offers:
- (Currently on hold) Bowling Program, held weekly from September thru April, this program is community based and has a variety of adaptive equipment and techniques available to Veterans.
- National Games Participation
- Variety of Adaptive Clinics which have included:
o Air gun target shooting
o Track and Field
o Equine Therapy
o Community based outings and activities
Who is eligible?
- Participation is open to male and female service veterans, who currently have inpatient or outpatient rehabilitative needs and have been assessed by the Recreation Therapist as appropriate for programming
- These Veterans traditionally have needs for spinal cord injuries, orthopedic amputation, visual impairments, certain neurological problems and other disabilities.
- National Games Participants must meet criteria outlined in program protocol.
What are NATIONAL GAMES?
- National Games are annual events which allow Veterans a chance to attend clinics, to compete and to meet other Veterans.
- Wheelchair Games are held at a different site each year and offers Veterans an opportunity to compete in sports ranging from billiards to a 5K wheelchair road race.
- Golden Age Games are held at a different site each year and are committed to improving the quality of life for Veterans over the age of 55 by fostering better health through sports competition.
- Winter Sports Clinic held annually in Aspen Colorado is the only National Clinic sponsored by the VA. The Clinic offers adaptive instruction and the opportunity to experience winter sports from down hill skiing to rock climbing.
Adaptive Sports/National Games
Stratton VA Medical Center
113 Holland Ave.
Albany, New York 12208
Michele Ferrauilo, CTRS
Adaptive Sports/National Games Coordinator
Disclaimer of Endorsement: Reference herein to any specific commercial products,process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States Government. The views and opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the United States Government, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Veterans Affairs of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized VA activities, the Department does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Please let us know about existing external links which you believe are inappropriate and about specific additional external links which you believe ought to be included.
Disclaimer of Liability: With respect to documents available from this server, neither the United States Government nor any of its employees, makes any warranty, express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness,or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights.